Why Not Have a Prayer Box Party? (from Lisa Wingate)

Happy Monday everyone! I hope this day finds you fine and fit and filled with anticipation.  Since it’s the time of year for house guests, family gatherings, parties, and group get-togethers of all types, I thought I’d share a fun idea passed along to me by a very sweet (and crafty) group of serious book enthusiasts.

It’s always amazing to see the ways stories inspire discussions, friendships, and activities that travel far beyond the pages of the book.  When The Prayer Box hit bookshelves this fall, I hoped it would inspire people to make and use prayer boxes of their own. I wrote a bit about the history and use of prayer boxes in an author note in the back of the book, but the idea of a prayer-box-making party never even crossed my mind. What fun to hear from a sweet group of ladies who went above and beyond!

This unique idea for a girlfriend gathering comes from friends who work together at Tyndale House in Chicago.  I love the fact that these ladies were inspired to create a little bit of Iola and Tandi’s Outer Banks experience from The Prayer Box as a backdrop for their prayer-box-making party.

So, how do you plan a prayer box party? Fortunately, the ladies were kind enough to share photos! I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.  (Thank you to Sarah Mason for the pictures!)

A bit of Outer Banks flair gave this prayer box making party the feel of a trip to Hatteras Island, the setting of the book.

There's a definite Sandy's Seashell Shop theme here, which must mean that these ladies have officially joined The Sisterhood of the Seashell Shop!

There’s a definite Sandy’s Seashell Shop theme here, which must mean that these ladies have officially joined The Sisterhood of the Seashell Shop!

Doesn't this look like fun? It's also a great chance to talk about special blessings, power verses, and answered prayers. Be sure to share at your party!

Doesn’t this look like fun? It’s also a great chance to talk about special blessings, power verses, and answered prayers. Be sure to share at your party!

Here are a few of the finished products.  I love the fact that each is as unique as the artist who created it.  Remember that prayer boxes don’t have to be restricted to “boxes.”  Jars, baskets, tins, bowls, and other containers work, too!  If you’re working with young people, it helps to start with a blank canvas (a plain box). Check your local craft store for inexpensive wooden or cardboard gift boxes that are easy to decorate.

Partycollage

Finished products — each as individual as the artist who created it ;-)

What a wonderful way to share a special, and deeply personal, night between friends! Prayer boxing is a craft that works at any age, by the way. Why not consider doing this with kids, grandkids, or older folks too? It’s perfect for sparking discussion on favorite scriptures, why prayer matters, and how we can learn to give over our needs and fully rely on God.

For further instructions on making prayer boxes and suggestions about materials to use, click here for a previous article on the craft of prayer box making:

Lastly, remember that there are no rules when it comes to making boxes. It’s a great chance to recycle or upcycle, but a decorator box from a craft store is a good place to start, too. While you’re making a box for yourself, why not consider crafting one to give to somebody who needs it? Prayer boxes make great gifts, too!

Here’s hoping that there might be a prayer box party in your future!

admin

Latest posts by admin (see all)

Comments

1. Anonymous says

How fun and unique is this idea? It’d be fun to do with my family over Christmas. Altogether, we have 9 grandkids between 4 and 13. I think I see a little quiet time activity here!

Have a wonderful day!
    Nana Carrie

• Lisa Wingate says

Yes ma’am. It is like a scrapbook party for prayer boxing. Sort of a gift that keeps on giving. I really loved this groups idea of doing it together!

• Lisa Wingate says

Girl, the socks when completely out the window! I was in awe and totally honored that they decided to do this. Other people’s creativity always amazes me, and I love the fact that at the end of the night everyone got to carry home something unique and lasting.

2. Carrie L says

Such a great day on the porch today. These ideas have my brain stirring. I have a group of friends I’ve gotten together with for many years now. We meet twice a year at a bed and breakfast or someone’s house. We come from different types of religious backgrounds, so it’s not usually something we always feel comfortable discussing. This would be a wonderful activity that we could all do together. Prayer applies to all of us as we are all believers. it is a special year, as one of our girls has cancer so prayers really apply.

• Lisa Wingate says

Carrie, what a blessing to have such a group of long-term friends. I pray for your friend his dealing with cancer. A prayer box is a wonderful way for other members of the group to be able to send prayers to her long distance. Just tuck them inside a card or envelope and send them along for her prayer box.

We all know that our friends and family pray for us in difficult times, but having something tangible like a written prayer can really be of value at the toughest moments.

I remember visiting the Outer Banks and fell in love. I haven’t had the opportunity to read The Prayer Box but am begging the library to get it in so I can get it into my Kindle. From the reviews, I know it will be a great book to curl up with and let the day float away as I lose myself between the pages.

• Lisa Wingate says

Thank you, Linda! The Outer Banks is indeed an incredible place. I have never had such a wonderful time doing the book research! I hope you enjoy floating away with the prayer box!

So glad you joined us on the porch :-)

4. Sharon says

I love the idea of a prayer box party, Lisa. The boxes are all great. It’s nice to have some examples. Thanks for sharing.

• Lisa Wingate says

Thank you Sharon! Yes I think examples help, but the wonderful thing about prayer boxes is you can be completely personal in your choices. Any design that works for you is perfect!

• Lisa Wingate says

Oh, Julie! I have been so blessed by the people who pick up my books. I know you know this too, but the connections we make with people through stories are the biggest blessings of all.

And that includes our sweet writer friends too, like you my friend :-)

5. Alicia says

Just finished The Prayer Box – could not put it down! My daughter is graduating in a few weeks and I think a prayer box will be a great idea for this next season of her life. Thank you for making this an idea that we can use in our lives. Do you have suggestions for a letter to put with the graduation prayer box