Shrimp Salad by Beth Webb Hart

Shrimp are just a jumping in the warm lowcountry waters this time of year.  All you need is a cast net to catch them in nearly every tidal shrimp_salad_sandwich-291x437creek.  The smallest ones are the sweetest, and they are our favorite.  We often block off a small creek entrance with a seine net, walk with it several yards into the narrowing creek before hurling it up onto the mudbank to see what might be flopping around.

Here is a recipe for my favorite shrimp salad.  It’s great over greens or on bread.

Lowcountry Shrimp Salad

2 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined, cooked and coarsely chopped

2 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 minced onions

1 cup chopped celery

1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

1 cup mayonnaise or enough to bind mixture

Combine shrimp, salt, and juice in a bowl.  Add onions, celery, celery seeds, Tabasco and mayo.  Makes 3 cups of salad or enough to make 1 loaf of shrimp salad sandwiches.

Enjoy!

For more info. on Beth Webb Hart’s novels laden with lowcountry cuisine go to www. bethwebbhart.com

41zgu4ZW8-L._AA160_

admin

Latest posts by admin (see all)

Comments

1. Melanie Backus says

Beth, your shrimp salad sounds delicious! I am afraid that grasshoppers are all that hop around my part of the country lately. Summertime recipes as well as any, to me, are great! I am an avid recipe collector. I thought you might like this summer time salad recipe.

Strawberry Fluff Salad
    1 large Cool Whip
    1 can strawberry pie filling
    1 can Eagle Brand milk
    1 small can crushed pineapple, drained

Easy and delicious!

How about a good ole Texas Sheet Cake to go with our lowcountry fare!

Cake:

Icing:
    6 tablespoons milk
    5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup butter
    4 cups confectioners’ sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10×15 inch pan. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat in the sour cream and eggs. Set aside. Melt the butter on low in a saucepan, add the water and 5 tablespoons cocoa. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir cocoa mixture into the egg mixture, mixing until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

For the icing: In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 5 tablespoons cocoa and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, then fold in the nuts, mixing until blended. Spread frosting over warm cake.

• Julie says

Britney, I think this is the recipe my Granny used…or close to it. I haven’t had this in years! Thanks for sharing. I’m going to share this one with my family.

Oh YUM! Now I am overcome with a desire for shrimp salad… and to go with it, Melanie’s Strawberry Fluff Salad and Britney’s good Ol’ Texas Sheet Cake.

Color me hungry at this point!

4. Julie says

I grew up next door to a shrimper in Louisiana and LOVED getting fresh shrimp right off the boat. This recipe (and the photos!) make me crave those shrimp. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks Beth, and thinking of you as you return to the classroom this school year. j

Hallo Ms. BW,

I am jotting this recipe down, too! I have been avoiding shrimp since I was around 5 years old, as its family legend that I ate it with a relished passion back then! I have no memory of this at all! Fast forward, I had the pleasure of trying a true Southern comfort of samples at Publix (part of Apron’s Kitchen),… they combined: grits with a shrimp concotion on top of it, and a side of greens! They threw in a piece of toast with spinach/articoke dip and a slice ot tomato! I mean, how could I *not!* like it, right!? The shrimp were these baby shrimp too, just like the ones your mentioning in the recipe!

I not only tried it, but I,..wait for it, I LOVED it!! Completely shocked myself, there!! I have been getting hankerings to try ‘fishy’ meals for awhile now, as I discovered scallops from New England’s waters last year as our local farmer’s market had the latest catch off Cape Cod come in,… my mouth still waters thinking about how my Mum turned those into the loveliest silky smooth creations I ever did taste! Laughs.

So,… now I’m a shrimp girl again! :) :)

Thanks for the inspiration because I now have two shrimp recipes to cook up!

{postscript}

I completely forgot to ask you, have you tried the new Tabasco sauce!? I wish I remembered the name of it, but they put it in the shrimp dish and it was a firey bit of wickedness! Loved the addition it made to the overall taste, yet it wasn’t offensively hot, just a new dimension!! I was thinking this new one might pair well with the shrimp salad, too! I’ll eat this on fresh baked bakery bread, as we have new loaves [at our farmers market] from a local baker!!

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest
    writing a blog post or vice-versa? My site goes over
    a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!

My blog – custom temporary tattoos (Fletcher)