We tend to have a lot of impromptu potlucks around our house. I love the stress-free way of pooling together our resources and gathering around the table with friends and yummy treats. I usually like to prepare something fresh from our gardens (our from our frozen reserves if off-season).
In today’s garden, we’ve got a few rows of fresh, sweet watermelon. Sometimes I make a watermelon fruit basket, which tends to look a lot harder than it is to make. For colder months, I tend to make chicken cups, served warm from the oven with mouth-watering spices. But when trying to think of my absolute FAVORITE potluck recipe, there’s one that rises right to the top. It’s actually a new discovery, and the recipe might not sound all that appetizing, but I assure you…it’s a knock-your-socks-off favorite that any veggie lover (like me!) will enjoy.
It’s a Corn Avocado Salad straight from the pages of Southern Living (May 2013), and just writing about it makes me want to whip up another batch. I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds assorted small heirloom cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons country-style Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 (1-oz.) package fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Toss corn with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and spread in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Combine corn, tomatoes, and next 2 ingredients.
- Whisk together vinegar and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add tomato mixture, and toss to coat.
- Gently stir in avocado. Let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with basil just before serving.
(Recipe originally published by Vanessa McNeil Roccio, Southern Living, May 2013.)
If you haven’t had a chance to read INTO THE FREE yet, now’s the time to catch up on Millie’s story before the sequel WHEN MOUNTAINS MOVE hits shelves next month! And…for this week only, iBooks is offering the ebook of INTO THE FREE for ONLY $3.99! https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id501443140?mt=11
Happy reading and gardening, harvesting and gathering, cooking and snacking. I guess what I’m trying to say is…happy everything!
Disclaimer: Featured Image courtesy of MyRecipes.com
Latest posts by Julie Cantrell (see all)
- Thank You For Following Us To Our New SBV Porch on Facebook! - November 25, 2015
- Stepping Stones - November 11, 2015
- I’m Ellie: Happiest Dog in the World - October 28, 2015