I was looking for a photograph the other day and stumbled on pictures of one of my early birthday parties. Five little girls joined me that day to celebrate my sixth year on earth by pinning the tail on the donkey, gorging on cake with vanilla frosting and multi-colored sprinkles, and opening gifts (out of the five presents–four were Barbies. Those girls sure knew me!)
Anyway, I got to thinking about those girls and our early dreams, where some of them are now, and how God has blessed me with so many girlfriends over the years–most recently these gals on the Southern Belle View Porch. (these are the coolest women, and we’re all madly in like with each other!) Then, I wondered what these writing buddies were like as little girls, and that sparked an idea.
Let me introduce you to the LITTLE BELLES–the Southern Belle View authors as little girls. But, I’m going to cheat a bit. I’m going to post their photos and not disclose who they are . . . yet. I thought it would be fun to let you guess.
So, here are photos of us as little girls. I’ve also included a bit of trivia as hints. Your job is to guess our identities in the comments by photo number. The identities will be announced at 5:50 pm central time on Shellie Rushing Tomlinson’s ATS Live Radio Program (go to www.shellierushingtomlinson.com and follow the links). Shortly after, I’ll post the identities here in a comment. A winner will be selected from the ones who guessed correctly and will be awarded a complimentary copy of Shellie’s new book HEART WIDE OPEN and a matching tee shirt. GOOD LUCK, EVERYBODY!
1. This little Belle is a former nurse, loves the movie Pretty Woman and she’s enamored with the Holy Land, traveling there often. She is also president of one of the most respected writing organizations in the inspirational market. (yes, those are knives in those chubby hands!) [EVA MARIE EVERSON]
2. This little Belle is a worship leader at church and traveled to Australia, Spain, Venzuela, Mexico, Ireland, Canada and all over America as a former software engineer. She currently serves as a board member for the largest Christian fiction organization in the U.S. [RACHEL HAUCK]
3. This little Belle had one of the earliest cases of appendicitis ever documented. Her grandmother gave birth to her daddy all by herself. This Belle’s house overlooks a gorgeous lake and she hangs out with Kory Robertson and Jeff Foxworthy. [SHELLIE RUSHING TOMLINSON]
4. This little Belle traveled to the U.S.S.R. as a student ambassador through the People to People organization. She rescues kittens, she wipes paint from her hands on a frequent basis, and her grandmother was an opera singer from New Orleans. [NICOLE SEITZ]
5. This little Belle’s early work was adapted to the Broadway stage and she spent time in Washington, D.C. assisting the first woman Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, in writing her first book. [AMY HILL HEARTH]
6. This little Belle is also a speech/language pathologist. In 2012, she received the Mississippi Arts Commission Literary Fellowship. Currently, her days include feeding sheep and goats on their family farm. [JULIE CANTRELL]
7. Before becoming a full-time novelist, this little Belle wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. She’s spent time on horseback inside rodeo arenas and she was awarded the National Civies Award for promoting greater kindness and civility in American life. [LISA WINGATE]
8. A little over five years ago, this little Belle walked a Hawaiian beach with her new husband. She was the first in her immediate family to attempt a higher education and is a fan of birthing instructor, Ina May Gaskin (which will come in handy in the coming months.) [JOLINA PETERSHEIM]
9. This little Belle used to play Academy Awards with her little sister dressed in their mother’s nightgowns and high heels. Later, she appeared in the movie BRONCO BILLY starring Clint Eastwood. Sadly, she was not nominated for an Oscar. [KELLIE COATES GILBERT]
10. This little Belle grew up a preacher’s kid and attended eight schools in eight years. She dreamed of becoming a Christian singer and is extremely fond of Coca-cola and Mexican food. [DENISE HILDRETH JONES]
Well, there you have it! Have fun guessing. Perhaps these grown up Belles will share more in the comments about their photos once their identities are revealed. GOOD LUCK!