Life is Sweeter in Louisiana

20140708_202655 (3)My children and I have just spent a marvelous, magical week in my hometown of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We’ve packed in about as much fun as possible with friends and relatives, and now we’re heading back to reality. But before we leave the beautiful Bayou State, we had to make our traditional beignet run to Coffee Call.  I thought y’all might enjoy a photo of these sugary sweet beignet fingers, fresh from Tiger Country.

Just for fun, post pics or share your family’s favorite hometown treat. No prizes today…just chat for the fun of it. I’ll be driving and may not be able to reply to your comments until late tonight, but y’all should know by now…here on the porch, mi casa, su casa. Carry on, porch pals. And have a fabulous hump day!

julie

PS- If any of you haven’t visited Louisiana, add it to your bucket list today. And don’t leave without a day or two in Baton Rouge. Believe me, the food is actually better here than in New Orleans, and you won’t run out of incredible places to explore in this state.

201405_TheMidwife_banner_440x125

Julie Cantrell

New York Times bestselling author at David C. Cook
Julie Cantrell is a tree-hugging organic-farm girl and mother of two who happened into a mid-life adventure as a novelist. She's having fun parenting, writing, teaching, speaking, and living the dream.

Latest posts by Julie Cantrell (see all)

Comments

A vacation sounds so lovely. I’m writing toward a submission deadline and no vacation this summer for me (she said pouting.) I tasted my first beignets and bananas foster while in New Orleans for the big RT Booklovers convention last May. Loved both . . . even though I’m not a big sweet eater.

When we moved to Texas from the Pacific Northwest, my youngest son took up doing most of our cooking. He smokes a mean pork tenderloin with homemade chipotle applesauce that just about makes your mouth dance the two-step.

Oh, yum! So glad you had a wonderful time, Julie. I have to eat a whoopee pie whenever I’m around my PA Dutch relatives, which usually happens in the fall. And if they’re peanut-butter filled, all the better! ;)

Beignets! No trip to the Big Easy OR the Red Stick is complete without beignets. You made my mouth water thinking about ‘em. Must make some around here soon! Right now, we’re gorging on fresh sweet corn. It’s THAT TIME! :)

4. Nicole Seitz says

My next book takes place in Louisiana (not to mention it’s home to my good friend Shellie Rushing Tomlinson), so part of my heart is already there! Safe travels home.

5. Lisa says

There is a little restaurant here in East Tennessee that is basically just a place on the side of the road. Actually, if you don’t know which road to take, you won’t find it. WORLDS BEST BBQ!! No kidding. I’m talking the whole shebang – pork, sauce, beans and the best homemade blue cheese dressing evah!! They bring a little bowl of blue cheese dressing and crackers to your table when they take your order. Oh, my!! The only problem is that it is such a small place the wait is usually quite long. But, it’s worth it, believe me!!

I love beignets! Glad you and your crew are having such a great time in the old hometown, Julie!

In Texas, our favorite hometown treat would have to be pecan pie (homemade) topped with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream (a Texas tradition). Yum!

Julie, I have a VERY dear friend in Baton Rouge. I visited her years ago and had a wonderful, wonderful WONDERFUL time!

You’re right! So much better than “Naw’lins!”