If You Don’t Like What You Have…

Rachel Hauck The other day, I was on the phone with a friend, complaining.

Nothing major, but, “whine, whine, why, why?”

My friend encouraged me, heard me, sympathized with me, and by the time we hung up, I was back to my right mind. Sorta.

After we hung up, I learned, she prayed for me.

God answered her prayer fast!

About two minutes later, I heard the Father voice of God, “If you don’t like what I’ve given you, I can give it to someone else.”

He had my attention.

I literally felt like a kid standing in front of her father, full of love and kindness, but speaking to her very sternly.

“No sir, I’m very, very happy with what I have.”

I could not repent fast enough.

See, my heart was weary over a few things and comparing myself to others. Instead of really going to Him, I let my discouragement fester.

Then I spewed all over my friend.

Jesus said it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Not just in time and money, but in words. In deeds.

He has been so very gracious to us by clothing us in His righteousness that the bar for giving is high.

Very high.

We’ll strive-the-rest-of-our-lives-high.

But I think the Lord had a point to make with me.

He knows my heart grows weary. He understands my frame, my weakness, but He also wants me to live above it.

By His grace He’s saying, “Rachel, you can NOT let sin beset you. You can press into Me and not get bogged down.”

The Father was calling me to a higher, narrower way.

I accept the challenge.

To give with my words, to give with my time, my money… (Oh, she’s stepping in it now, Fred!)

Be a giver. You never know how God will use you to bless others. How He will bless you.

***

DiningwithJoyOn sale until 12/2, Cyber Monday, Dining With Joy, nay $2.99 in your favorite e-book format.

“What happens when a faux low country cooking show host mixes with a debunked Manhattan chef? Love and laughter!”

***

Rachel Hauck, Once Upon A Prince, royal wedding seriesRachel Hauck is a bestselling, award winning author who lives in sunny central Florida with her husband and their little dog too.

She was recently named American Christian Fiction Writers Mentor of the Year.

Visit her web site at here

Comments

• Rachel Hauck says

Thanks Jolina! It seems to be a constant struggle in life doesn’t it?! Happy early Thanksgiving to you too!

Off to fix the typo I just found in the post!

Rachel this is just what I needed to hear this morning! It is so easy to forget all that we have and how fortunate we truly are. I think you hit the nail on the head, “Comparing myself to others.” Why do we find it so much easier to see others’ blessings (and envy them) than to see (and call out) our own!

Newly thankful again!

• Rachel Hauck says

Lisa, I loved being reminded by my Father that I AM most blessed. I was so struck with awe and reverence over my lack of gratefulness toward Him for what He’s done for me. And those things are wonderful and GREAT!

I realize there are millions of people who would probably JUMP at the chance to trade places with ME! Little ole me!

So, I am grateful!!

Love you

2. Julie says

Rachel, I am glad you found the peace and gratitude you were seeking. I have to admit, envy is a feeling I have never experienced. In fact, I can’t relate to it at all. I have always felt such joy when others succeed. I feel happy for them and love seeing good things come to others. I also try to always count my blessings and find the good in any situation. I certainly had to lean on that practice in the last few months to get me through some dark times…but even then, I just looked around and saw so much good, so many blessings, so many reasons to be grateful. You know what’s interesting about you and Lisa comparing yourselves to others?…. you have no idea how many people would trade places with y’all in a second. You have both accomplished things most people never dream of, and you both have such talent and gifts to share with this world. I’m so glad you gained some perspective and now see the wonderful things you have done with your life and how many lives you have touched with your God-given talents. We are all blessed to have you in our lives. Hugs, j

• Rachel Hauck says

You’re so right. The grass is always greener. ;)

I am happy with others succeed. Always! I love for people to walk in their destiny. But when you work hard and DON”T see the fruit of your effort, it can be discouraging.

But we each must walk the walk God has given us.

Love,

• Julie says

Here’s a loving reminder of the fruits of your labors: “Rachel Hauck is a bestselling, award winning author who lives in sunny central Florida with her husband and their little dog too. She was recently named American Christian Fiction Writers Mentor of the Year.” I’d say that’s a lot of fruit, sweet Rachel. Celebrate all you have accomplished in this life and all the light you bring to others like me each day. You are amazing. Hugs, j

3. Melanie Backus says

Rachel, you have sure brought a thought provoking post today. It is so easy for all of us to whine or complain, I guess that is the human side. Our blessings overflow, our joys abound, we are loved. How thankful I am!

Thank you so much for sharing this word with us. I needed to hear it. I seem to have gotten into a pattern of whine, thankful, complain, praise; you can see the cycle. Sometimes God uses someone we don’t even know to speak through. Thanks for being willing. Have a beautiful, blessed day! :-)

• Rachel Hauck says

Thanks Cindy, I needed to hear the voice of the Lord address me to make me know, “I have GRACE in Him to live above this.”

I hope that communicates to all of y’alls hearts.