Here’s to a new adventure- Southern Belle Style!

platter

Well, what a treat to get to embark on this new journey with some of the best southern writers and simply exceptionally kind women. I say often, “I can’t ask for more than to get to do what I love.” And I could add, “And get to do it with people I enjoy.” So, thank you my fellow southern belles for the invitation to join you and to you the faithful readers for allowing me entry onto your computers and hopefully into your hearts.

With first encounters introductions seem the best place to start. So, I thought I’d share with you a little bit about myself and why I fall in the category of Southern…

I was born below the Mason Dixon Line – Maryland

I was raised in a state with South in its very name – South Carolina

I knew how to drink Coca-Cola before milk.

Macaroni and Cheese is a vegetable to me.

The SEC in my life has nothing to do with Security Exchange and everything to do with football- Carolina Gamecock to be exact.

I had a granny.

I make home-made biscuits and fried chicken and chocolate gravy – and fried steak and fried pork chops and fried potatoes. Okay, if nothing else about me made me southern that sure did.

I call both of my brothers bubba.

My favorite authors write southern fiction – All the women on this blog as well as Pat Conroy, Charles Martin, Fannie Flagg, River Jordan and John Grisham.

Did I mention I love Coca-Cola – Think IV drip or Survivor “luxury item”. And specifically McDonald’s Coca-Cola if I can’t get it in a glass bottle.

I’m madly in love with one Mr. Jones who is from the deep heart of Georgia.

I’m the bonus mom to five kids who have exceptionally southern names like Patricia and Hattie.

I now live in the hills of Tennessee and hear cows moo when I sit on my front porch and often find wild turkeys crossing the street.

I pat people – often including strangers and not just when they are pregnant.

I call my waitresses sweetie when I can’t read their name tags and they are perfectly fine with it.

Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker and Rascall Flatts top my playlist.

I’ve written a country song myself.

The settings of my novels have been Savannah, Charleston, Mullins, SC, Nashville and Franklin, Tennessee

So, here’s to our new adventure. May we laugh together. May we learn together and may we enjoy getting to know each other. And one day may we share a Coca-Cola together. But until then, I raise my glass bottle to you right now and say, thanks for the invite. I look forward to the journey.

BannerRHLWFeb2

A southern girl who loves her family, friends and SEC football. I'm crazy about Jesus, Coca-Cola, Mr. Jones, and my bonus-kids. And I write a few books.

Latest posts by Denise Jones (see all)

Get emails about new blog posts, new book releases & more!

Comments

Denise – Your post expresses my own heart (except all the southern history, of course). Sometimes God blesses us beyond reason! Inclusion in this group falls into that wonderment.

I’ve been a fan of yours for years and I’m looking forward to sharing that Coca-Cola with you in person soon!
    (PS – I was pinning one of your videos to our Southern Belle View Pinterest board and got caught up and watched ALL the Reclaiming Your Heart videos on You Tube….a few of them got in my business a bit, but my heart was truly blessed!)

“I pat people – often including strangers and not just when they are pregnant.” Well, yes ma’am, if we didn’t know it already, that proves you’re a true Southern girl down to the bone, Denise. I’ve never left your company without feeling blessed. We’re so glad to have you here with us!

Hugs!

PS: But why do the turkeys cross the road? That is the question…

LOL! Yes, that still is the question. Because you’d think they would have seen a few squashed turkeys! Cause I sure have. Feel the same way about you Lisa. Blessings to you as well…

From a fellow pat-er :)) I loved this post and I’m thrilled to have you with us. Possibly my fav of the whole list though– and it was hard– was this one, “And when I lay my head down at night my prayers start with “Father I want to thank y’all for such a great day.” – y’all referring to the Trinity.” You are soooooo welcome here~

4. Heather says

I never had a mom or a mommy, but I sure ’nuff have a Momma. Coke should only be served in glass bottles. And it we all know Coke is a reference for a soft drink, but Co-cola is the brown nectar sent straight to us from Jesus. Pimento cheese is necessary for any gathering. And… All conversations end with “aw… Love y’all too!” Even to business calls. HA!

Denise,
    Your writing has been a favorite of mine for years. I sit on pins and needles waiting for your books to come out and have loved each and everyone! While I am from the middle of the country, Missouri, My love for Coca-Cola runs just as deep, as well as my love for the country. This post touched my heart. While right now I live in the city, I long to get back to hearing the cows and having my own chickens again. Thank you for your heart after God and using your gift for writing to tell stories that speak His truths.

Blessings on you and yours!

6. Stephanie Ellis says

Denise, I’ve been following you for years but i don’t think I’ve ever heard the “y’all-Trinity” reference before. I just love this!

Blessings, Cokes & Love,

Stephanie from Statesboro

Denise, this is such a fun post! Love having you as one of the belles with us. I too had a granny, who was my favorite person in the world. And we have not one but TWO bubba’s in our family (truth). We also live on a farm with the sounds of sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, etc. filling the space around us, and wild turkeys pay us visits..but I especially love to watch the herons land on the pond. Beautiful! Cheers, Julie

I fell in love with chocolate gravy about five years ago and never looked back! I also smiled at how you refer to the Trinity as y’all. So funny and sweet! Glad to have you on the porch, Denise! You’re a blessing to us. :)

9. Jackie Smith says

Welcome Denise….enjoyed your post! And was reminded to read your book already on my Kindle…….The First Gardener…..loving it.
    I am a true southern lady…..GA.
    Keep up the great writing! I put your Savannah books in my cart and hope to have them shipped out soon.